Thursday, June 27, 2013

Your Last Night

It was exactly one month ago that you dropped me off at the Phoenix airport.

You were a mess. I could see it in your eyes.

It seemed like your whole world was crumbling around you. 
Everything was slipping through your fingers.
I apologized for having to go. I wished it was our normal two-week-or-less countdown, but you were busy, I was busy, there was nothing we could do.
You told me that if you had any money, you would buy a one-way ticket to come with me.
But you didn’t, you couldn’t.

You were shaking.

I told you that everything was going to be ok. I told you that it wasn’t going to be that bad. One month would fly by and before we knew it we would be living together for the whole summer.
We’d share the whole summer together. Everything would be different.

We split ice cream as you tried to make me smile.
 You almost made me miss my flight because you wanted to wait until the very last minute to let me go through security.
 When it was time, you walked up with me to the security line and forgot all of your bags back by the chairs.

You were a mess.

I had to go, but you told me, “One more kiss!” I complied and then turned to walk away.
 “Just one more kiss!” 

Oh, how I loved you.


Three more times of that and you finally let me go after I started getting panicky about missing my flight. I was always the worrier.
 I usually sleep the entire flight, but this time I couldn’t. I was frantically writing out schedules trying to figure out a way to surprise you with a trip so we didn’t have to wait an entire month. I wrote all over the whole barf bag and asked the flight attendant to bring me some napkins.
I had to make it work. There must be a way.

The hours between 5 and 10.
Where were you my sweet Bear? How lonely did you feel? How desperate did you become?
 Thank God you eventually went home to your parents. 

Thank God.

You sat down with your mom and told her I was the one. 
You told her that they needed to get to know me better.
 You called me to say goodnight. I was annoyed you waited so long. It was already midnight. 
I had to be up for work at six.

Goodnight my love. 



Talk to you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment