Sunday, November 3, 2013

More Than Enough

When Blake first met my mom and dad I was SO nervous. I honestly didn't know what they would think about him. I wasn't sure if they'd like him and was afraid they wouldn't believe he was good enough for me. After introducing my parents to too many of the wrong guys, I felt extra pressure to make sure they knew he wasn't just another one of them. 

Before we went to meet them, I was extremely anxious. I started telling Blake what to say and what not to say. Talk to my dad about computers, you'll have so much in common. Tell my mom about starting your own business, she did too. Don't talk about religion. Or politics. Or anything about rehab. Blake handled my obnoxious nagging well for the first several minutes, but eventually called me out for it. He said he was excited to meet my parents because if they were like me, they would get along great. To him, it was that simple. Then he told me it was sad that I wasn't more confident in him.

Reflecting back upon our relationship, I know I had my doubts about Blake. He had all of these incredible business ideas, but lacked the discipline to really build on them. Money seemed to always slip through his fingers. And he was constantly taking risks, making mistakes, and assuming that somehow his messes would get cleaned up by someone else. But although I had my uncertainties about Blake, I also knew that I was completely in love with him. 

And this love for him has only gotten stronger. Through stories from his friends, bonding with his family, and really taking in the lessons he taught me, I have a more complete view of Blake. I see what a light he was to so many people, the widespread impact he had, and how he truly balanced me out as a partner. The more I discover about Blake through connecting with people and looking inside myself, the more my confidence in him grows. 

Lately, and especially tonight, I feel guilty because I wish Blake experienced me feeling this unshakably secure about him while he was still alive. I've been beating myself up questioning if he ever believed he was good enough for me or truly believed that I thought he was. In spite of all of my nagging, critiques, and judging, did he actually know? I wonder how many times he looked into my eyes and saw what an incredible man I viewed his as. That although I had my doubts, I never forgot how lucky I was to have found him and how much better my life was because of his love. 

I just want him to know he is enough. More than enough.

I should have told him that every day. 

5 comments:

  1. don't be sad, B!!! I remember after he met your parents you were blown away by how awesome he was and how much your parents loved him... he definitely felt your confidence in him and feels it now! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true. I told him that my parents said that I was more myself around him than they'd ever seen me be with another boyfriend. He loved hearing that. I guess I must be still searching for ways to blame myself for not saying or doing the right thing to help him.

      Love you so much <3

      Delete
  2. don't worry beezy, you wear your heart on your sleeve. it is one of the things i love about you. if you have strong feelings, you can't hide them even if you try :) your love must have been shining out from you whenever you were with blake...there's no way he didn't know how much you loved him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha so true about not being able to hide things even when I try. Which is the reason why I am the world's most horrible liar.

      <3 Love you

      Delete